Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The 3 foot receipt

Last night after work, I went to one of the local grocery stores. I had seen the circular and there were a lot of buy-one-get-one-free deals and I wanted to check it out. The problem with buy-one-get-one-free deals is that if the item's price is way too high to begin with, you aren't really getting much of a deal. I grew up in a family where we didn't buy anything unless it was on sale AND we had a coupon AND it was double coupon day. So, this trip to the grocery store involved lots of calculations on my cell phone.

Even though I have no pantry space and no place to put dry goods in my kitchen, I filled my cart. FILLED. I got 12 boxes of pasta ($0.50 each), but I won't be able to cook any of it since I still do not have any pots and pans. I got 4 packages of hot dogs (brand name, $1.50 each), but no hot dog buns (they were not on sale). I got 8 2-liter bottles of Vanilla Coke Zero ($0.79 each - yum). And that's just a cross section of my purchases.

What really got me was when I was paying at the cashier. The woman ringing me up said to me, "You saved 35 dollars! ................. your total is $89.30" I felt bad after I laughed at her. I had to spend 90 bucks to save 35? How did they rope me into that deal?

I guess I'm just a sucker for a sale. On the plus side, I won't need to buy pasta for a good 6-months and I certainly got a good work-out carrying all of it up to my 2nd story apartment in the 90 degree weather.

0 comments: