Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Frozen Food Aisle

First, a bit of advice, if you go grocery shopping around midnight and you plan on lingering in the frozen food aisle, consider bringing a jacket.

I'm almost convinced that my local store turns off the heating (as well as most of the lights) in the frozen food aisles at night. Makes sense since there are way less customers and it is a good way to conserve energy, but freezing customers are not happy customers.

But I digress.

I like to cook. I also like to think I'm pretty good at it. So, when I was thinking about my first week of meals in my apartment, I was thinking of fun things like casseroles, roasts, pastas, and fish fillets. However, now that the move has been completed, I'm realizing that this is more of a dream to be fulfilled at a much later date. I still don't have any pots and pans (well, I have a 1 quart pot without a lid). I have a toaster oven and a George Foreman grill. Oh, and no space in the kitchen to put dry groceries. Oops.

Last night in the bowels of the frozen food aisle, I went a little crazy. It was fortunate that I had taken the smaller size of shopping cart when I entered the store, because I fear I would have bought way more than 8 boxes of hot pockets, 7 banquet meals, 4 boxes of chicken fingers, and 4 frozen pizzas. They were all on sale, what can I say?

The dream of a gourmet meal was spotted fleeing the scene.

0 comments: